Thursday, January 24, 2013

2 dates, 2 horribly Different Results

As I noted in the previous post I was sick all last week.  Without being able to think, let alone post anything, I feel a good story to make people laugh who are feeling the affects of this season's crazy temperature and pollen would be a kind gesture on my part.  Before I get into the 48 hours of confusion I wanted to shamelessly plug what's on my playlist at the moment; inspiration, a muse of sorts, call it what you will but it's made my brain go into over drive and with the ODS currently down I can't direct that focus to code.
Ludovico Einaudi- In a Time Lapse.  It's classical and instrumental  but not in the way Rachmaninoff is.  The album is a soundtrack to life, as you hear the tempo change you can visualize seasons, emotions, the flow of the city, life.  I can't think of any other way to explain it.  I found it going through iTunes looking for a Snow Patrol track, 'Lightning Strikes (What if the Storm Ends)', and have been so grateful for my fat fingering the name.  It's wonderful, just wonderful.
Random Tracks- Tim McMorris- 'Overwhelmed'.  You can hear a bit of the song in the new Sam Addams commercial, which is where I first heard it.  I think it's a very beautiful song that I can only imagine will be played (or at least should) at numerous psuedo-hipster weddings.  On to the stories!!!!

Mid/ Late February 2011-  I don't know the exact dates but I do know it was shortly after the Superbowl when I was putting a lot of time into OKCupid with little to show for it and I had recently stopped "seeing" someone who I been been dating even though the relationship officially ended in October.  The first date was on a Friday promptly followed by date number 2 on Saturday.

OK Cupid Date 1:
After messaging with Kim (I have no idea her name now) for 2 weeks we decided to meet up over by TCU right near my favorite taco joint Salsa Limon.  We were going to get some drinks and get to know each other a little better.  We hadn't spoken on the phone and she was a grad student at TCU who majored in Education.  Right there it should have been a clue.  I don't have a good track record with teachers or professors, I don't see a lot of drive in them nor do they usually take a holistic approach when discussing a topic.  It's tough to read someone through their written or typed words and even though a good friend of mine swears by "People with less education talk like they write and people with higher education write like they talk" I don't see the correlation as much as she does.
We meet in front of the bar at 8:00, I'm a little (a lot) early and she's a little late.  She was actually better looking in person than in her pictures.  She was put together very well; nicely dressed with a sweater, Burberry check scarf, pea coat, and heels on.  Looking back I can pick out the outfit but if she were to walk in front of me I wouldn't have a clue what her face looked like.  Kind of generic pretty blonde caucassion girl?  We walk in and are seated at a table and order drinks, a XX for me and Pinot Grigio for her and the conversation begins:
B: "So, besides school what are your hobbies?"
K: "What do you mean?"
B: "What do you like to do in your spare time, when you're not focused on school what do you do for fun?"
K (Confused): "Why do you want to know that?"
B (very confused and somewhat frustrated): "I'm trying to get to know you better?"
K: "Oh. (long pause as she thinks, followed by an angry Tone).  I guess go to bars with my friends and watch reality TV. That's it."
B (At this point I stand up and put my coat on):  "I don't think this is going to work.  Here's $20, this will cover the drinks.  You're very beautiful, physically, I'm sure you'll meet someone more your type really soon".
At this point I leave and walk around the corner and over to Salsa Limon for some Tacos.  As I'm sitting at the picnic table in front of their food truck She's walking by on the phone.
K: "Yeah, he just left. Paid for the drinks and left.  Yeah, Fuck HIM!  I was only meeting his fat ass out so I could score some free drinks, I'm broke girl!"
So much about that short interaction confused me.  The question I asked was small talk but it confused her, does she normally go out with people that speak in grunts or use shots to communicate interest (which I've done before)?  I guess it wasn't horrible, more confusing than horrible.  Knowing I had another date the following night I smiled and knew I made the right choice....

OK Cupid Date #2
This one I actually had high hopes for. We spoke on the phone a few times and arranged to meet in Sundance over at the Saucer to get to know each other better.  8:00, again being the magic date time we both arrived at the same time, I walked from home and noticed her parking in the lot behind the Saucer as I was crossing it.  She was gorgeous  small framed, short, brunette with a cute just above her shoulder length cut.  She was also wearing chucks- man, if that is not a direct route to my heart.  Any girl that rocks converse or skate shoes is already a leg up on everyone else in my book.  We grabbed a table upstairs in the little speak easy room to the right and things just flowed well.  The bartender came over and I ordered some amber or winter lager and she said that she couldn't drink because she was just finishing up some medication.  I offered to move the venue to another place and she said no, she liked the Saucer a lot and didn't mind at all if We talked about a lot of things and just hung out.  We had a couple appetizers and then the talk turned to music.  I'm very passionate about music, OK- I'm a music Nazi.  She loved a lot of the same music that I did and then it fell to Miles Davis.  She said she wished there was a jazz place nearby so we could hear some music.  Having a a few pints of 9-ish% ale I noted that if this wasn't the first date I would suggest going back to my place since it was only a few blocks away to hear some music.  She was up for it and I hoped in her car and we drove the 3 blocks to my place.  Things were moving pretty fast, the flirtations moved to a a few kisses in the car and then music led to dancing and long conversation.  I guess at some point I chalked it up to the booze and I had forgot that she was drinking die coke all night since it was in a tall rocks glass.  As things again heated up she uttered one of those phrases that starts off well except the "BUT" or second part causes the record to skip-
"It's OK, you don't have to use a condom, I'm already Pregnant"

Say that to yourself and let it sink in.  It turns out she was at her Gyno that Monday and found out she was a month and a half pregnant.  After some awkward conversion and her leaving all I could think about was the scene from Swingers where Vince Vaughn is mocking John Favreau and says "Whose the winner, Mikey's the winner".

If all goes well I've arranged two in person interviews for this weekend.  I'm sure this will be far more interesting than my lame stories and since they're in person I can get the girls tipsy enough to give some stories that are worthwhile about their adventures in dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment